- Language planning
Kaiwhakamāori - Translators
When using reo Māori in your business, it’s advisable to call on a translator. This ensures the language you use conforms to current usage.
To ensure top quality translation services, Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori maintains a register of translators who have achieved a certificate of competency in the Māori language.
Under the Māori Language Act 1987 the Commission can issue three kinds of certificates:
- A certificate of competency in the interpretation of the Māori language
- A certificate of competency in the translation of the Māori language
- A certificate of competency in the interpretation and translation of the Māori language
Translators who have been issued with Certificates of Competency are listed below by region.
The codes attached to each translator are as follows:
- 15(2) (a) – Passed in oral expression only
- 15(2) (b) – Passed in written expression only
- 15(2) (c) – Passed in oral and written
- AM – Awarded on merit
- UNV – Unverified/Incomplete information
- N/A – Not available for Court duties
Ko ngā Rohe – The regions