Tātarihia tō Reo Pākihi - Assess your business reo
If you want to use Māori language in your business, start by assessing the resources you already have.
These questions may help:
- How much Māori are we using already?
- Are there any Māori language speakers on the staff?
- How many everyday Māori words do staff know?
- What resources (other than people) do we already have for increasing our Māori language usage?
When you decide that you want to increase your business’s usage of reo Māori, it's useful to form a strategy to use your available resources in the best way. This helps you to develop your Māori language use over time.
Perhaps these questions will help you develop some ideas:
- How can we promote reo Māori in our business?
- What help will we need?
- Where can we get it?
- What is our first priority?
- What will be easiest to do?
- What will be the challenges?
- Will we need to tell our customers about using Māori?
- How will we introduce te reo to our customers?
- What will it cost, if anything?
No doubt you will find other questions as you consider these. The important thing is to think about how reo Māori can work for you and how you can put it into practice. That way giving Māori language a go will be fun!
Why not check out our showcase and see how other businesses have given Māori language a go.