Kaiwhakamaori - Translators
When using reo Maori in your business, it’s advisable to call on a translator. This ensures the language you use conforms to current usage.
To ensure top quality translation services, Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Maori maintains a register of translators who have achieved a certificate of competency in the Maori language.
Under the Maori Language Act 1987 the Commission can issue three kinds of certificates:
- A certificate of competency in the interpretation of the Maori language
- A certificate of competency in the translation of the Maori language
- A certificate of competency in the interpretation and translation of the Maori language
Translators who have been issued with Certificates of Competency are listed below by region.
The codes attached to each translator are as follows:
- 15(2) (a) – Passed in oral expression only
- 15(2) (b) – Passed in written expression only
- 15(2) (c) – Passed in oral and written
- AM – Awarded on merit
- UNV – Unverified/Incomplete information
- N/A – Not available for Court duties